Select a SEER Rating
What is a gas/electric system?
A gas/electric system provides both heating and cooling by using an outdoor air conditioner and a matching evaporator cooling coil to provide cooling capability and a natural gas, oil or LP furnace to provide heating. These systems are used in all types of climates, especially where heating is required.
How does a gas/electric system work?
During the summer, the outdoor air conditioner unit uses electricity as it's power source, the compressor then pumps the refrigerant through the evaporator cooling coil gathering heat and moisture from indoors, removing it outdoors. Heat and moisture are then removed from inside the home when warm air from inside the home is blown over the cooled indoor coil, air then returns to the furnace for conditioning and is cleaned before being recirculated. The heat in the air transfers to the coil, thereby cooling the air in your home. In the winter, the furnace uses a minimal amount of electricity to power the blower. Cold air is then pushed through the furnace's heat exchangers and the furnace fuel source (gas, oil or LP) then heats the air and the blower circulates the heated air through the home, thereby heating your home.
Did you know?
AFUE or Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, is the measure of a furnace's heating efficiency. AFUE measures the amount of heat actually delivered to your home compared to the amount of fuel that you supply to the furnace. A furnace that has an 80% AFUE rating converts 80% of the fuel that you supply to heat your home, the other 20% is lost out of the chimney. The higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient your furnace will be, and less heating loss.